Monday, June 20, 2016

Moira McGhee's new book


New South Wales based researcher, Moira McGhee has recently published a new book "Contact Down Under" full of fascinating Australasian sightings and experiences.

Some of these, although not known until post 24 June 1947, are reported to have happened pre 24 June 1947. For the record, I will provide details as Moira presented them in her excellent book.

1924 Coolamon, New South Wales

Image courtesy of "Whereis?"

 Some years ago, an elderly man, named Ian Rogers, rang me about an incident when he was a boy in 1924. One morning he was checking their rabbit traps in the Lysterfield State Forest, south of Coolman. He has lived on the family farm there all his life, and in those days rabbits and other game formed a regular part of their diet.

"I was behind a tree, when I heard a humming noise, looked up and saw this flying object which landed in a clearing about 100 yards away. I have never forgotten it, and as best as I can remember, it was a long cylindrical shape, rounded at both ends, with four square windows along the side. It was at least 30 feet long, and I remember lights of some kind.

"I hid behind the tree and watched it for about an hour. At one stage some people got out, they just looked like 'people' and I don't know where they went - they didn't come my way. After about an  hour it flew off the ground and away into the sky." I noted there were no helicopters in 1924, and asked him if anything else happened.

"The ground was all burnt black where it had been, and the trees were singed. There were dead birds all around, and nothing grew in that small area for a long time. After it had gone I saw something glinting on the ground. It was a small piece of metal. I kept it for a long time, as it was like magic. When I rubbed it with my hands it would move off of its own accord. I raced home to tell my mother, she scolded me for getting back so late. I don't remember being gone so long, and she said not to tell anyone else about what happened."' (McGhee; pp97-98.)

February 1930 Grose Valley, New South Wales

"Researcher Rex Gilroy received a call from one Sydney woman who was still mystified about the unidentified object she saw years ago when visiting the Blue mountains. She was at Govett's Leap Lookout overlooking the Grose valley, about midday, with her parents and siblings.

"They all saw a big silver object hovering high in the eastern sky above the valley at about cloud level. It was very large, like a big upright triangle with a flat top and attracted a lot of attention from other tourists during the half hour it hovered there. It then flew off eastwards towards Sydney."
(McGhee; p.94.)

February 1943 Darwin, Northern Territory

Image courtesy "Whereis?"
'W. Wyatt detailed an interesting report from World War 2, when he was a RAAF pilot. All witnesses were trained to identify aerial craft and objects.

"On a clear Darwin February night in 1943, RAAF squadron aircraft were doing 'circuits and bumps' - practice training for pilots in using flare-path landing strips on night flying. We had just received in the last aircraft for the night, and were preparing to refuel and get ready to return to camp, when the warning was given: "Better hit the ground!"

"The alarm was caused by a bright light coming in like another plane, it was soon near us, and went off over the trees. There was no sound whatsoever and steady movement, but much slower than a plane. Our fear came because we knew of a Luftwaffe trick of trying to join up on the tail of Allied aircraft landings in Europe, then strafing and bombing the area as they sped off.

"But this was no plane, Japanese or Allied, and we had never seen a parachute flare or Very flare, ever move under control. Our commanding officer immediately put planes back on readiness but nothing at all happened. To me it was just a large bright light moving over the landing strip, but I have no explanation. Later, our guards company said they had seen similar lights around the area, another night."" (McGhee; p.176.)

1940's, just after World War 2 Wilcannia, New South Wales

Image courtesy "Whereis?"
"A senior police officer told me of an elderly country woman, now deceased, who saw a traditional flying saucer during daylight hours, near Wilcannia, in western New South Wales, in the 1940's just after World War 2. She claimed that after reporting the sighting to the authorities, she received a letter from the Australian Air Force confirming the report, and warning her not to tell anyone about the craft. The police officer attested to having seen the letter, which appeared to be genuine." (McGhee; p.112.)

No comments:

Post a Comment